A winter white look you could actually wear outside. Source: Pinterest
Winter white is one of those trends that seem so good in pictures but can go so totally wrong in practice. From Gwyneth Paltrow in that stunning white Tom Ford gown at the Oscars to to all of the pretty white pant suits on the Fall '13 runways, there's nothing dreamier than head-to-toe white. But in real life? Think ketchup, slush puddles and toddlers. Add a chocolate lab and minus 20 weather and that floaty white skirt doesn't look quite so pretty anymore, does it?
Sure, white might not be the most practical colour but there are ways to make it work for your everyday life. Here are some easy tips to pull it off:
- Keep white on top - whether with a white coat, blouse or cozy sweater. This season means slush, snowbanks and wet, dirty floors so it's far easier to keep white clean on top than on the bottom.
- If you love white pants or jeans, make sure to wear a heel to keep your pant hems off the ground. White skinny jeans or cords keep the fabric close to your legs (and away from the mud).
- Choose a dark base like dark grey, navy or black, then add a pop of white with a white coat. Since you'll take it off the minute you get inside, it's far more likely to actually stay white.
- Opt for solid white rather than one with a pattern so you can bleach it.
- Add soft shades like pastel pink or soft grey to your whites, rather than going head-to-toe.
- Stay super cozy with a classic cable-knit off-white sweater or a washable down-filled puffer.
- If you've got a pale complexion, white can really wash you out. A tinted moisturizer, some bronzer and a pink lip will help you glow in a good way.
Get inspired with these three chic looks below to help you do white right, no Photoshopping required.
House of Harlow Sunglasses, $125, Sunglass Hut; Faux Fur Jacket, $69.95, H&M; Metallic Skinny Jeans, coming soon, Smart Set; Statement Necklace, $17.95, H&M; Converse Sneaker, $44.99, Journeys; Pura Vida Beanie, $16, American Eagle; Bulldog Intarsia Sweater, $35.70, Aeropostale.
11-Pack Gold Rings, $6.95, H&M; Fuzzy Pink Coat, $149, H&M; Madison Carryall, $398, Coach; Corduroy Skinnies, $19.99, Smart Set; Leopard Booties, $140, ALDO; Cowl Neck Sweater, $65, RW&CO.; Tarte MultiplEYE Lash Enhancing Liquid Liner, $29, Sephora
Dorothy Perkins Coat, $122, Hudson's Bay; Graphic Sweatshirt, $24, Aeropostale; Skinny Ankle Jeans, $34.95, H&M; Neon Leather Tote, $78, Gap; PREEN X ALDORISE Boots, $230, ALDO; Fingerless Moto Gloves, $39, Danier