There's dressing for men and then there's dressing for ourselves. My husband's list of fashion 'likes' reads like a Victoria's Secret catalogue, and it goes a little something like this:
- Things that lace up = good
- Things that tie up = good
- Tight workout pants = good
- Tops that "accidentally" fall off shoulders = good
- Cleavage = good
Predictable, right? But he's not alone. I've met few straight men who would pick SJP over Scarlett Johansson, Gwyneth over Gisele, Maggie Gyllenhaal over Megan Fox. Meanwhile, fashion girls collectively lose their minds when Emma Stone, Tilda Swinton or Cate Blanchett hit the red carpet because they dress for the love of clothes, not for the cleavage they can bust out.
I'm perpetually torn between the two camps. I hold this sexpot superhero power over my bae when I throw on strappy heels, a little black dress and bombshell waves. Kachow! He has no idea why but suddenly he goes all zombie-like, holding doors open for me and offering to make me caipirinhas. Still, I love dressing up like Jenna Lyons with my buttoned-up men's shirt, culottes & New Balance kicks. Girls love it. Guys literally walk right past me. Except when I put on a pair of big geek glasses. Then it turns into a hot teacher/librarian thing. Guys like that.
The one-piece jumpsuit is inherently divisive. While most women would love to try out overalls or a denim jumpsuit, they avoid them because they know how much men hate them. So, I've put together 3 one-piece looks for you to try out this spring anyway. Fitted black overalls worn with a tee or white blouse and heels is undeniably cute. An Emma Stone-like evening jumpsuit is unpredictably sexy. And as for the denim jumpsuit? Not sure about men (okay fine, pretty sure they'll hate it) but I can guarantee that fellow fashion girls will swoon. And here's the thing: sometimes a girl's just gotta look after #1.
P.S. Woot woots to SHERRI SIMMS for winning our GAP contest last week! Happy jean shopping, girl! We'll be posting another contest this Fri so check back on this blog to enter. xx
1. Black Dungarees, $39.95, H&M | 2. Tortoiseshell Sunglasses, $12, ALDO | 3. Cotton Shirt, $29.95, H&M | 4. Rivets Dakotah Crossbody, $350, Coach | 5. Snake Print Pumps, $75, ALDO | 6. Solid Rubber Watch, $12.25, Aeropostale.
1. Pave Multi-Feather Necklace, $115, Coach | 2. Ombre Tinted Aviators, $20, American Eagle | 3. 1969 Linen Denim Jumpsuit, $99.95, GAP | 4. Liv Crossbody Bag in Python Embossed Leather, $375, Coach | 5. Converse Chuck Taylors, $59.99, Soft Moc | 6. Quilted Wool Biker Jacket, $60.99, GAP.
1. Tonya Made in Canada Leather Bomber, $399, Danier | 2. Ring Set, $10, ALDO | 3. Strapless Color-Blocked Jumpsuit, $96, Guess | 4. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick $23, Sephora | 5. Sam Edelman Closed-Toe Mule, $195, Town Shoes | 6. Fringed Clutch, $50, ALDO.